MERCY Malaysia or Malaysian Relief Society is a non-profit organisation focusing on providing medical relief, sustainable health-related
development and risk reduction activities for vulnerable communities in crisis and non-crisis situations.
MERCY Malaysia’s mission is to provide excellence in medical assistance and to develop disaster-resilient communities to reduce humanitarian
burden through meaningful humanitarian action. As a non-profit organisation, MERCY Malaysia relies solely on funding and donations from
organisations and generous individuals to continue their services to provide humanitarian assistance to beneficiaries, both in Malaysia and
• The Executive Director provides leadership and guidance to the organisation and is responsible for its day-to-day operations, with operations both in Malaysia and abroad.
• The Executive Director will build on MERCY Malaysia’s successes to contribute towards the realisation of its Strategic Plan in delivering
meaningful humanitarian action.
• Leads a dynamic team of professionals and ensure excellent delivery of the organisation’s core business, the humanitarian aid, in an open, accountable and transparent manner.
• Manages all administrative and operational matters of the organisation (including policies, budget and staffing).
• Reports to the President and Executive Council of MERCY Malaysia.
• An effective leader and manager who can oversee complex programmes, relationships and competing priorities.
• Will need good financial, budget planning and management skills at both strategic and operational levels.
• Demonstrates management skills and ability to lead and motivate staff, volunteers, and engage with external stakeholders in a cross-cultural
environment and international settings.
• High integrity and conscientiousness, and ability to project professionalism.
• Experience in fundraising and philanthropy will be a welcome asset.
• The candidate should be someone with at least ten years of working experience and at least five of those years in senior management and/or
• Experience of working in the humanitarian and development sector with at least a few years in a leadership or management position is highly preferable, although not mandatory.
• Excellent command of English & Bahasa Malaysia, written and spoken.
• Be in good health.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the President and Executive Council of MERCY Malaysia, the duties of the Executive Director are listed below, but not limited to:
• Responsible for planning, organising and direction of the organisation management/ administration and programme operations.
• Oversight of all divisions and departments within MERCY Malaysia’s operations.
• Responsible for the execution and delivery of implementing the organisation’s strategies and policies as determined by the Executive Council.
• Will be responsible for commanding and directing MERCY Malaysia volunteers’ operations when they are on duty.
• Responsible for ensuring all direct and shared authority limits are in accordance with the approved delegation of duty limits.
• Coordinates and leads annual budget reviews, monthly and quarterly reviews within the programme operations to ensure the services and funding are robust enough to meet or exceed strategic goals and objectives.
• Responsible for ensuring that the Secretariat develops suitable and viable operational strategies to complement and implement the organisational strategy as determined by the Executive Council/organisation.
• Responsible to ensure that the Secretariat meets the organisation’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as determined annually.
• Your direct line of reporting will be to the President of MERCY Malaysia.
• On specific matters, you will also report to the specified Executive Council Members as determined by the President and the Executive Council.
• Lead and uphold the integrity of MERCY Malaysia’s image and good name where possible at all times, and ensure that members of staff under your direction do the same.
• To engage with MERCY Malaysia’s key stakeholders from various industry sectors and government and international agencies.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your application to email@example.com, highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a written statement of your vision for MERCY Malaysia in not more than 300 words. Please include a detailed CV and a recent passport-sized photograph.
Application sent without all the documents mentioned above will NOT be considered.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Executive Director. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview sessions.